Carpet has been the choice for homeowners for generations. Carpet provides a soft feel, and will more often than not be warmer underfoot. It also helps to dampen sound and keep dust to a minimum by trapping particles in its fibers to be vacuumed regularly. There are many choices for carpet, and it has come a long way over the years.
You may remember polyester carpet when it first hit the market. Homeowners were instructed to vacuum daily, for 10-14 days, and would get a bag full of fibers every time. These were called staple down filaments, and they weren’t very soft either. Over time as technology improved, the continuous filament was developed which eliminated shedding of polyester carpets, and stain resistance, as well as durability, was improved.
Each manufacturer has a proprietary blend of polyester, often coated in stain-resistant materials. Durability increased allowing fibers to be made thinner, making a softer feel. PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) is “not your daddy’s polyester”, and the carpet of choice for most all modern residential applications. The dying process also changed over the years, with all of the carpet sold at Johanna’s being solution dyed. This means that the fiber is dyed all the way through, eliminating fading from sunlight or wear.
Further down this page, we will go over some great lines we carry and detail their benefits.
REQUEST A QUOTE
But what is “a better pad”?
A semi-permeable vapor barrier will help in more than one way. It will provide a smoother surface with less friction and abrasion of the backing as well as keep liquids from permeating your pad.
If you have ever had a stain that wouldn’t go away?
Pad thickness also plays a role in wear and comfort.
Johanna’s Flooring recommends an 8# 7/16” vapor barrier pad for plush carpet and an 8# 3/8” vapor barrier for shorter pile carpets.
Ask us about extending your carpet’s warranty with pad!
- When the day for your scheduled installation arrives, take care to prepare for your new carpet.
- The temperature should be at least 65°F with a maximum humidity of 65%. The installers will need power for their tools used for stretching in their carpet.
- Make sure all small objects are moved out of the area, and there is a clear path from where the installer’s van is parked to the installation area. Any large furniture to be moved by the installers should have drawers removed, shelves cleared, and sheets off of beds.
- Your installer may need to remove room and closet doors to properly install your new carpet. It will be their responsibility to replace them. If trim needs to be removed, they will remove and replace the trim as part of their installation process.
- There are many choices for residential and commercial carpet, with each brand producing different makes and models tailored for specific applications.
SmartStrand – Stainproof PET technology
Using the most advanced fiber innovation, SmartStrand Forever Clean carpets offer the highest level of beauty, comfort, and performance available.
• Exceptional durability to preserve the style, beauty, and appearance of your carpet
• The only carpet with permanent, built-in stain and soil protection that won’t wear or wash off
• Nanoloc™ spill and soil shield for quick and easy cleanup
• 0% moisture absorption to eliminate musty, dingy odors
• The only carpet featuring All Pet Protection and Warranty
• The only renewable carpet fiber, certified free of harmful substances, to preserve a healthy home and a beautiful planet
• Luxurious softness that you can sink your toes into
Beauty in the Fiber’s DNA
- Carpet adds beautiful warmth and comfort to a room like no other flooring. SmartStrand Forever Clean lets you enjoy this comfort with long-lasting peace of mind.
- SmartStrand Forever Clean is made with an innovative fiber, engineered to resist matting and crushing. This unique trait is built into the fiber at the molecular level causing the fiber to bounce back, maintaining its beauty and appearance over time.
- This performance boost gives SmartStrand Forever Clean a particular durability advantage when it comes to premium soft fibers, such as SmartStrand Silk. Amazingly, in comparison tests, SmartStrand Silk Forever Clean retained its beautiful appearance after 60,000 footsteps.*
- That extraordinary durability proved to be up to three times longer than comparable soft nylon carpets. So rest soft and easy with SmartStrand Silk Forever Clean, the world’s most durable and softest carpet.
- The best way to avoid stains altogether is to keep dirt and spills from settling into the carpet and becoming a stain. SmartStrand Forever Clean features Nanoloc,™ an advanced nanotechnology that completely encapsulates the SmartStrand fiber to create a superior spill and soil barrier.
- SmartStrand is made in part with annually renewable plant-based materials that minimize our usage of limited natural resources. This also enables us to reduce our energy consumption in the manufacturing of all SmartStrand Forever Clean carpets. It’s good to know you can have the beauty, softness, and durability you desire in a carpet without compromising the beautiful earth around us.
- SmartStrand Forever Clean is made with Dupont™ Sorona,® which is OEKO-TEX® certified free from harmful substances. With SmartStrand Forever Clean, you can rest easy knowing your carpet fiber is certified for a safe and healthy home.
- Since its introduction in 2005, SmartStrand has proven itself in over 7 million homes. It has also endured some of the most extraordinary challenges in the history of carpet.